Monday, February 25, 2019

Balsa Trees

As I walked through the lush Panamanian rainforest steering up at the massive canopy above, I could see thousands of different trees and palms, but the one that caught my interest most was the gigantic balsa tree.  With its broad leaves and humongous sprawled canopy, it really was the king of the forest.
The reason I was so interested in the balsa tree was because it has the lightest wood in the world.  The tree itself is a fast growing giant, reaching full height in ten to twenty years, then abruptly falling over.
It's main uses are model aeroplanes and gliders, but it has also been used for surfboards.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Baxter, I love your blog. I can't wait to show the girls. It looks like you're having amazing adventures.
    X Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surfboards? Wow! I had no idea that balsa wood was so strong,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Baxter
    You're doing a very good job of cutting down trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great description you've written Bax. Missing you guys heaps and looking forward to hearing about your time in the Galápagos Islands!

    ReplyDelete